CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 28, 2008

Hats & Called to Serve & Rich Blessings

Some fun hats we used are below. The kids LOVED making me wear the crazy ones when the got the question right:

Today (7.20.08) we messed around with my favorite hats. Beach bum hats, Dbacks hats, US Navy hats, Roadrunner hats (you know, the hockey team?), Disney Tigger ear headband/hat thing, even a ginormous clown hat. Special thanks to the Yahoo Primary Music Leaders group for the word scramble and Elder Falabella suggestions!!!!!!

One reverent helper came up to choose a hat, then with the threat of wearing the hat looming over their heads, they had to unscramble a jumbled phrase from the song "Called to Serve" in the time it took for another reverent helper to come up, spin my spinner, and choose how we were going to sing the next song. If they could unscramble the phrase in time, they got to choose whether I had to wear the hat or if they wanted to wear the hat. I have to admit, I felt a little silly wearing some of the goofy hats when they answered correctly. I didn't let them have any help from teachers after a while so I didn't have to wear the worst ones!

When we talked about the "richness of his blessings" in "Called to Serve" and "rich blessings are in store" in "I am a Child of God", I talked about rich blessings with the story I titled "Hole in Shoe" by Elder Falabella of the Seventy. The part of the talk I used is pasted below. More is found on lds.org. This lesson went well, but I think the primary was just being super good today. I probably could have gotten away with more. Will post some pics later...



SINGING TIME PLAN: When we choose numbers, use this list (but go straight through 1 to 7 rather than whichever number is actually chosen).
Called to Serve 174
Book of Mormon Stories 118
I Am a Child of God 2
Two Little Eyes 268
Pioneer Children 214
I’m Trying to Be Like Jesus 78
Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes 275
A Child’s Prayer 12
Need: hats, songs taped on hats, spinning bottle, “how to sing” papers, hole in shoe visual, called to serve scramble sheets, called to serve storybook, “Wheels on Bus”, pix for nursery songs, word king hat, hot/cold note, etc.

JR: 3:10-3:30 – HOLE IN THE SHOE, THEN PLAY…
Hats: Bonnet, AZ Stucco, Dbacks, Clown Hat, Beanie, roadrunner, halo thing, navy
Choose song (first will be Called to Serve), then spin the bottle to choose how we sing it (andante, a capella, move seats, etc.).


SR: 3:55-4:15 - HOLE IN THE SHOE, THEN…
Called to Serve Scramble, Word King, Hot/Cold, Head/Shoulders new verse, etc.
Ankles, elbows, feet and seat, feet and seat, feet and seat.Ankles, elbows, feet and seat, hair, hips, chin, and cheeks!

Nursery: 3:45-3:55
Print out “Wheels on the Bus”, use giant "Primary Buggy" as a bus.
bring dice with all the pictures of the favorite songs on it: print out pix for all songs, then we can pick from those.

Hole in Shoe by Elder Enrique R. Falabella of the Seventy:
Why are we members of the only true Church? Even though I cannot answer this question for all 13 million members of the Church, I would like to express from my heart some answers that probably will fit with your own answers.
The Riches of Eternity
“Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich” (D&C 6:7).
Riches were not a part of my childhood. We were a family of five: my father and four siblings. My mother had passed away when I was five years old. My father’s meager income was used to buy our food; the purchase of clothing was put off as long as possible.
One day, somewhat bothered, I came up to my father and said, “Daddy, why don’t you buy me some shoes? Look at these; they’re worn out, and you can see my big toe through the hole in the shoe.”
“We’ll fix that up,” he replied and, with some black polish, gave a shine to my shoes. Later on he told me, “Son, it’s fixed up.”
“No,” I answered, “you can still see my big toe.”
“That can also be fixed,” he told me. He again took the polish and put some on my toe, and before long it shined like my shoes. So it was early on in life I learned that happiness does not depend on money.
As time went by, a pair of missionaries taught us the riches of the restored gospel, of the doctrine of the plan of salvation, and of eternal families. We were baptized, and when my father began his calling as district president, his first objective was to journey to the temple and receive the blessings which would come because of that sacrifice. It was a 15-day journey covering 4,800 miles (7,725 km)—a journey filled with difficulties and setbacks, highways in poor condition, uncomfortable buses, not even knowing the route, but with great hope in the ordinances we would participate in.
Upon arriving in the city of Mesa, Arizona, we headed down an avenue at the end of which we could see the house of the Lord, gleaming and beautiful. I remember the joy which filled our hearts; we all broke out in songs and praising, and tears ran down the cheeks of many Saints.
Later in the temple, we knelt as a family to hear the beautiful promises about an eternal family, with the certainty that our mother, though absent, was now our mother forever, and we felt the peace which comes from knowing that we are an eternal family.
The promise of life eternal thus gave us the riches of eternity! “Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich” (D&C 6:7).

Scrambled phrases:
Put these words in the correct order.
serve of Called Him, King to glory heav’nly
------ -- ----- ---, ----’--- ---- -- -----


Put these words in the correct order.
e’er for witness his Chosen name to
------ -’-- -- ------- --- --- ----



Unscramble these words.
Fra adn diwe ew etll teh her’sFat oryst,
___ ___ ____ __ ____ ___ _______ _____,



Unscramble these words.
Fra adn diwe ish elov laimproc.
___ ___ ____ ___ ____ ________.



Put these words in the correct order.
blessing to the his Called know richness of—
------ -- ---- --- -------- -- --- ---------

Put these words in the correct order.
daughters, King children of Sons and a—
---- --- ---------, -------- -- - ----


Unscramble these words.
adGl fo arthe, ish hloy mena fessconing,
____ __ _____, ___ ____ ____ __________

Unscramble these words.

Psesrai uont imh ew inbrg.
_______ ____ ___ __ _____

Make sense?

0 comments: