CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentines & How Firm a Foundation, etc.

Conversational Hearts idea: (this is an adaptation of a super cute idea on Sugardoodle. I just changed a few things here and there to suit my primary. Thanks to the Sugardoodle gals who first posted their ideas!)

Cut out a bunch of simple little hearts from pastel colored paper (quarter sheet per heart if you're cheap and lazy like me). Write a cute little phrase like what is normally on conversational hearts that have to do with a primary song. For instance, "LOVED" could be "Love One Another" or "HUG" could be "Daddy's Homecoming" or something. I also added the song's page number so that life will be easier for my chorister and me.

I like to let junior primary keep whatever I've used in my lesson because they're always asleep at 8:30 (yeah, our church just moved to the early one) and they LOVE to take home stuff.

Tape the hearts with phrases and a number on each of them (the number is actually the page number, but I won’t tell them that). Have everyone check under their chairs for a special Valentine from me. Everyone will get one. I have the same phrases/page numbers on a pile of identical hearts so I can choose one from the pile. If I choose the conversational heart with “I DO” written on it, then the person with that Valentine can help me with that song. First, they can guess what song it is that could possibly have that phrase (or one similar to it) within the song. If they can think of a song other than the one I chose, - and our pianist and chorister both know it - , then we can sing either that song or the one I came up with. If they need a hint figuring out the song, the pianist can play the first few notes in “Name that Tune” fashion. Fun stuff. Good news: I can cheat and place the songs I want to do fo’ sho’ on the top of the pile I choose from so we sing those first! Hurray for “How Firm a Foundation” and “I Lived in Heaven”!

Oh, snap! I forgot that tables don't copy to Blogger. Sorry, fellow choristers, if this doesn't help at all. It is literally the 11th hour and I really don't want to reformat all this!

Page
Phrase
Special
Song
4
Choose Me
Hide the note
I Lived in Heaven
281
Wise Up
X
The Wise Man and the Foolish Man
276
Follow Me
O
Do as I’m Doing
61
Heart
X
Jesus Said Love Everyone
95
Promise
O
I Love to See the Temple
266
Happy
X
If You’re Happy
163
URA Star
O
I Am Like a Star
253
Fun
X
Fun to Do
207
I Do
O
Mother, I Love You
245
Cool
X
Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?
136
Loved You
O
Love One Another
H85
Excellent
Hide the Note
How Firm a Foundation
5
Loves Me
X
I Know My Father Lives
208
I Love You
O
The Dearest Names
177
Teach Me
X
Teach Me to Walk in the Light
156
Shhh!
O
The Chapel Doors
103
The Best
Word King
When I am Baptized
210
Big Kiss
Word King
Daddy’s Homecoming
188
4 Ever
Hide the Note
Families Can be Together Forever
198
Help Me
X
When We’re Helping
20
Hug Me
O
Grandmother
198
Love
X
A Happy Family
267
Smiles
O
Smiles (If You Chance to Meet a Frown)

Another Conversational Heart idea that might work better:
Put little crowns on some (word king), X’s on some (tic-tac-toe), O’s on some (tic-tac-toe), notes on some (hide the note), etc. We’ll see. That might not work.

Other cute ideas I may use tomorrow:

Sugardoodle had this cute idea. Senior will love it:
I did this a few weeks ago. Both junior and senior primary enjoyed it. I wrote a song on the board. We sang one verse. They had to think of a song using one of the title words. I wrote down that song. We sang it. As long as you keep it very verbal for pre-readers in junior primary, it works. (Found this on Sugardoodle.)

XOXO Tic-Tac-Toe idea:
Do tic-tac-toe and have the “X” or “kiss” team, and the “O” or “hug” team. Have each team come up with a song that talks about love, then after we sing it, they get to put an X or O on the board. This is my back-up’s back-up idea. I always have multiple back up plans. Nothing ever goes as expected.

0 comments: